November 20, 2007
New office layout!
On my 101 list, I am to go through storage every 3 months and edit. You have to do this when you live within 950 sq ft, it is a true must. The office is the last room to edit this year, and it is a hard room to design storage and organize because most of the stuff that I collect is housed in that office - craft items, books, magazines, paperwork, etc. This stuff also meshes with D's stuff, so our stuff needs to play well together. The office desk needs to also work as a craft work table, and I need storage to house all of my crafty stuff and bits and bobbles. So I get overwhelmed with the idea of editing all of my favorite stuff, but I am also overwhelmed with NOT editing my favorite stuff, so in order to make my life easier, I get around to editing. Here is what I did: I put all of the craft stuff out on the floor in organized piles. I then reorganized my closet so I could put bins in the closet walls. These bins came from Target and IKEA, and the shelves exactly fit them, so now I have 6 shelves with uniform clear bins so I can see what is in there. I can't add more, but can replace what I use, space wise. Sort of like, if you have 30 pairs of shoes, when you get a new pair, you get rid of a pair. So here is what my bins look like.
The next step was to also edit the book collection, so I got rid of some items so that we can contain a small collection of reference materials and fiction. Ikea makes great inexpensive media boxes so we bought some for our magazines that we collect and we got a new table/desk for me. D moved the lunchboxes up to the top of the wall, and put some metal boards up, and soon there will be a shelf above those for a few items. I also now have a delightful lamp on the desk, a basket for my mail, and ahh... the clutter is coming to an end. One more box of stuff to look through and I am organized! 
Once the shelving is up, I will post a before/after shot. If I can organize my crap, anyone can!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
it's technically 998 square feet but we now have a laundry room so i'm thinking we have 1004 now...
Looks good cindy! I desperately need to do the same....
Post a Comment