November 21, 2007

Cat in Water

So I finished my first few weeks at my new job and I think I am starting to get over environmental overload now and find a rhythm. People have asked me what I do exactly, and what the company does, so I will attempt to describe it. Basically in a nustshell, the company creates the diagnostic tools that cuts the time that a patient has to wait for biopsy results. So if you get a biopsy and are waiting to find out if its cancerous, our technology helps move the timeline along. Its pretty technical, and some stuff that we do I can't talk about, but needless to say, we are helping to diagnose and treat cancer, which is a pretty cool thing to do. I had a biopsy once, and it took 3 weeks to get the results, and that is a pretty stressful time, so I love that we help shorten that timeperiod for patients. As far as my actual job goes, I am officially a corporate librarian. I work to satisfy the company's information needs. The previous librarian called me a "cat in water," today, which I think accurately describes my first few weeks there. I manage the virtual library and supply reference and materials to scientists and marketing, and organize and manage our journal subscriptions. I often have to procure articles and go down the to UA library to print them out, and I do alot of research on topics that I don't really understand, so I am learning how to ask and get more info on the topics I don't know about which is pretty much everything. The commute isn't too terrible now that I have podcasts and audiobooks to keep me company, and the area where I work is pretty, so it makes it easier to drive that 55 minutes to and from work. I work alone, which is good and bad, and my boss is often out of town, also good and bad, but I am learning how to negotiate the company and get what I need. All in all, its pretty low drama, I focus on work at work and don't take it home, and that is the best part.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

At least you are not drowning. Think of this this way, your the key source, your the woman!