December 11, 2007

Is this what parenting is like? What a night.

Sunday night we went to my sister's for a yummy dinner and fun happy birthday celebration for my nephew, and came home to find Miles (our tabby) sniffling and sneezing. All night long he sniffled and sneezed in succession 7 times in a row loudly. Miles did this about 10 times Sun night and it sent my boy and I into a world of worry and concern-- Is he ok? What is wrong? What should we do? I don't know what having a child feels like, but I know that I get very maternal about my cats. Since our cat has some history with teeth problems and since I know more about how infected teeth affect a cat's sinuses than I ever cared to know, so after an unrestful night, we took him to the vet Mon morning. I worked from home that day, which is good because I didn't realize one could have the words "I am sleep deprived" stamped on my face in the form of sunken bloodshot eyes, and deep dark circles under my eyes. If this is what parenting is like, "oh boy", I can't wait.

The vet said that its probably environmental--candles, weather, did we change the air filter regularly? No signs of teeth issues, but give Miles some amoxicilin anyway. We changed the air filter that hadn't been changed in oh 6 months (oops) and turned the heater back on. The day went on, I made some chili and watched hail hit my car at 5pm, and about 6:30 the power went out. Not again, this is the 6th time this year. The power is usually out for 4 hours. But the power goes out ONLY ON MY SIDE OF THE STREET, every flippin' time. I can see the bright Christmas lights of our across the street neighbors mocking us, shining brightly into my home. You see - Across the street are some nice big 3bed brick houses built in the 40's and on my side are the small bungalow slump block houses built in the 50's. The 40s houses have sidewalks we don't, the 40s houses say we bring the property values down, you get the picture. But at least I made chili, so D and I ate chili in the dark, gave the cat some amoxicillin. At about 8, we decided that we were tired from our lack of sleep, went to bed.

An hour later we awoke to the sounds of a cat retching. It is not the most pleasant of sounds, and it went on and on and on and on. We got up, and the lights came on about 9:30. We looked around and it was EVERYWHERE...like a domino effect with a group of kindergardeners with the flu--on our bed, the floor, the blankets, the rug, and he just wouldn't stop. Next the office, the kitchen, the living room, everywhere but the bathroom, where we finally stuck him to assess the damage. D and I fight about who has to to clean it up, who is the better parent, who cleaned it up last time, etc. We gave him some water with a syringe, more retch. I won't go into gory detail, but this is really unfun stuff. This went on for about 4 more hours. The cat growled at everything, the other cat, us, the bathroom, which was slightly comedic, poor thing. We followed him around with some paper towels and some cleaner, thank god for wood floors.

The cat finally sat down and at 1am we went to bed, not to sleep mind you, just to bed, cuz who can sleep when your baby is barfing? The next morning the cat was puny, but eating and drinking water, I went to work, really sleep deprived now, D watched the cat, and he is just fine. I am relieved, but boy do I need a nap....

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Update from the other parent - some facts were a bit off on the rundown, we have the medicine at 7ish, wen to bed at 8:30ish - then was awoken at 9:45 with the lights/power coming back on - then at 11ish the cat starts to retch on our bed - food that time, then a mucusish yellow stuff, then foam. and it went on for an hour 45 minutes. we thought of taking him to the ER vet at 12:30 - but held off - and he didnt' yak the rest of the night, but didnt' sleeep either.

Unknown said...

the day update - 7am-8am i gave him some treats so i could watch miles eat, he ate 10 treats slowly - but he did it, then drank some water, then sat in my lap for 30minutes for pettings - he fell purred and fell asleep then he curled up (he didnt' do that during the yak fest) and slept in my chair till 2:30 - then woke up ate 2Tbs. of food, drank a little, went to the bathroom, then went back to the chair, walked around a little, then went to the bedroom to rest on the cat bed. im still worried, cuz (im like that and) he's still acting a little more puny than he usually is, but eatting a little, and drinking is key from what i understand - no medicine for him tonight.

Unknown said...

miles kitty meowmeow update: well he seemed his normal self last night, getting into stuff he's not supposed to, eating, drinking etc. ate all his food when he was supposed to etc. very minor sniffling ever once in a while yesterday - went to bed, he got his requisite 20minutes of lovin from papa, then fell asleep, later in the night we awoke to a few sneezes - probably 6 or so all night, but only when he slept by my feet which seems like it's right where the heater vent is pointed - and it was on all night, i turned it off, he didnt' sneeze but one light sniff the rest of the night. So i'm thinking we know whats going on. the filters have been changed, and the house will be dust free.

Rebecca said...

Whew - that sounds intense. I hope Miles is feeling better!! Love from Scott, Lady Creamsicle and I. :)

Anonymous said...

If you could only hear the sound of my sympathetic sigh... and hilarious laughter (no offense!) It's nice to know you can now understand the woes of parenthood. Love you! Nanner