So I eat lunch everyday by myself at my desk. I bring from home, or I eat soup and salad from our rockin salad bar at work, or eat one of the entrees. This lunchroom beats anything at the UA, and the hospital. It serves salmon, paninis, you name it, they have served it. Anyway, since I don't really know anyone I go sit at my desk, because lets face it, I would rather do that anyway. It allows me to blog , and look random stuff up. So today I was reading one of D's links that he sent me during the day about how The Onion published a new World Atlas, and one of the editors was a guy named Joe. D pointed out to me that he was the Onion guy we met in NYC a couple years ago and instantly I got giddy. My brush with someone famous that you wouldn't recognize on the street from another guy named Joe just got that much better!
So, just to give you the history, a couple years ago I played Balderdash and ate gumbo in a crappy Brooklyn apartment with some of the most delightful people I had ever met. I didn't know these people, but they were friends of a friend who met them at summer camp years ago and stayed in touch, and this guy Joe was one of their friends. This Joe guy would say stuff like "who would win in a fight, a gorilla or a bear? What if they could fly?" or, "I am ready to go eat some tiger meat hotdogs." I thought this guy was really funny. Some people are just randomly funny, I didn't know he worked for you know who at the time. Then we all played Balderdash. Balderdash can be lame if the people playing don't get into it, and these people got really into it. I know this doesn't sound like a big deal to most people, but this was some fierce competition. I find out that Joe works for the Onion. I mean, just to be considered for that job you better be funny on command right? How many people work there anyway, this is an elite funny group, I have decided. And then this guy Joe liked a couple of my Balderdash entries, and even laughed out loud. I made a guy from the Onion laugh out loud. Yesserrie, that was me!! I file that away in my rolodex of memories to pull out whenever I have a glum day. Its the small things in life..
December 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
oh the memories! our host is getting married btw - to another balderdash player. you wouldn't believe how different that crappy apartment was after she moved in! here's to more balderdash memories someday!
Post a Comment