April 29, 2008

Road Trip time - delayed post

D and I are going on a road trip this weekend to celebrate his 35th bday, woot woot. D has never been camping, so we are celebrating this first by heading up to Southern Utah to do some hiking, camping and rafting, in the various canyons up there, yeah! I will share photos when I return, but here are some of my favorite things about road trips.

Preparing the journey - As an excessive planner, there is really nothing I love more than making lists, categorizing items together, and then putting it all together for the trip.

Singing along to Road music - I love to listen to a wide variety on the road - first I see what is on the radio and see if I can find some classic rock and soul and country that I can sing along to, but these days with corporate music stations, its much harder to find the flavor of the road that way, so we load up the ipod with good stuff to sing along to.

Stopping in odd spots and enjoying what's there- Once we stopped in Welton CA at a Circle K, and I picked up a Welton newspaper that said that they had an increase of twins and triplets in the area much higher than normal- hmm...I had just seen Erin Brockovich and it made me think a superfund site might be in the making there someday. And last year off the coast of Oregon, we stopped at a sea lion park and went down underground to watch the sea lions through a chain linked fence. The place showed a video of an Orca swimming in there not two weeks before and trying to eat a seal. We waited long enough for the stench and the impatience of waiting for an Orca to show up to get to us and then we went on our way.

Eating bad junk foods from vending machines - Lately I have been pretty good about not eating junk, and packed some bananas, apples, and nutrition bars, but a guilty pleasure is to eat bad snacks on road trips from vending machines- past snacks have included funyuns, beef jerky, sour worms, cornnuts, oreos, cheese puffs, and sometimes all in the same day:) Dennis ate a Shrek themed snickers bar on the way to MD last Xmas that had green caramel in it, gross! But sometimes we try snacks that turn out to be awesome like salt and pepper chips, yum!

Random conversations - I love random conversations anyway as someone who talks in stream of conscious thought more often than I am probably comfortable with, but road trip conversations usually revolve around what you are doing at that time. Last year we went to Cape Fear NC and talked about what it would be like to live there and what if a serial killer lived there, and then we talked about how many words a minute I talk in the car and how many my younger sis doesn't talk in the car. Totally random.

Anyone else have any favorite things about road trips to share?

No comments: