April 12, 2008

Maggots,Maggots OH MY!

Friday morning started out as a typical quiet morning in my midtown section of a growing southwestern town. I got up and made some coffee for D, made some decaf green tea for me, showered, dressed, kissed the boy and the cats and went off to work. At work I found out that my company is building a stop gap library resource room, and then a full blown library room in the middle of the lab space. 6-8 months away, so I quickly called my library mentor and set an appt to talk with her about how to handle this thrilling and scary event and get some advice. Meanwhile I was preparing to go to the UA to talk to students about their resumes for library school in the afternoon, and thinking how much I was going to miss yoga...

But all was not well at our place....

Meanwhile, back at our midtown home, D got up had some coffee, made some breakfast, checked his email, read the news, and went back ten minutes later for more coffee. As D brought his dish to the sink, he looked toward the garbage can and noticed hundreds of wiggly rice like things moving slowly across the floor toward him. He screamed and hiked up his pj's and called me in a panic.

I went outside to listen to his story horrified, and suggested that they were coming from the garbage can. (Our garbage can is an old style-50's can that has been a thorn in my side the whole time we have owned it. It is difficult to get the garbage out because it has an inside
container, and trap like opening that snaps on your hand when you put something in the trash, really a pain). I was seriously hoping they were in the trashcan, plus its a likely place for maggots, right?

D pushed open the trashcan and more and more maggots poured out of it on to the floor! He shut the top, shrieked and ran and took the can outside to the large trash out in the alley.

D spent the next few hours cleaning up hundreds of maggots from our kitchen floor, I came home to help him out, and by then the house had been cleaned up, but D had saved some maggots to show me. Gross!!! It seriously feels violating, and like we are these unclean people, makes me gag just to think about it. I researched maggots of course, and figured out that we got a fly into our trash can and we hadn't taken it out in a couple of days, voila instant maggage. I found two this am in our dining room, so disgusting!!! They only live for a few days, so we have the flyswatter at arms length, and I have full permission to go get a new garbage can.

NOTE: I was going to put a photo in to give a visual image of how gross it was. I wasn't there, so I didn't get the whole effect. So I googled maggots for a pic. After recoiling in revulsion for ten seconds, I opted not to include a photo. Poor D. That must have been a nightmare..

The bug man is coming today to spray, and my house will in my mind be restored to its pristine condition....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

this is what i saw.
http://www.bobpitch.com/anon/Baudolino_Maggots.jpg

sorry people. i was/am totally scarred.

Rebecca said...

scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh