March 7, 2008

Two part plan - show up and see what happens.

In my first job as an event planner I was to manage a healthy living fair under a big tent in a parking lot at a new hospital. The tent was to be set up when I arrived, and ready to go for the people to set up their booths. When I got there, there was no tent, and the parking lot was full of cars. I sat down on the curb and cried for 5 minutes, thinking after all the planning, it all goes out the window, and what could I do to fix this in 30 minutes. I called my boss, who happened to give me the best advice ever, which applies to everything. #1 Just show up. #2 See what happens.

So I finally mustered the courage to contact the Western Washington library people after 2/12 weeks, and I heard back that it is a no go, but very nicely stated. I thanked them again, because you never know who they know, and it is the polite thing to do I think? I don't really know, but I don't like to burn bridges. Anyway, it is just as well, because while Western Washington is gorgeous in the summer, its crummy 9 months out of the rest of the year, and frankly I think I was kidding myself that I could stand all that crappy weather(worse than Seattle, much worse than Portland), I am from the Southwest after all. Plus with a 70k population, and 350K house prices it might be a bit difficult for my SO to get a job and afford to live there anyway, it was the #1 retirement community in the US for awhile...Uhh, I can get that right here fending for my life driving through Oro Valley. So up and to the right as a friend would say-- I still have Pima and UT Austin in my sights, or everything could work out here and I could stay exactly where I am, so I am just not going to spend any more time worrying about it after this post. So I was reminded of that great advice. Just show up and be present in my own life, and stop trying to plan it, and just let it happen. I am going to try really hard to follow this!

No comments: