So I still have an ode to Office Space in my cube. Now it is just one print of the guys beating the fax machine with a baseball bat to I think a Geto Boys song. I used to say I would never go back to the cube farms, but I guess one should never say never, because you might end up there anyway. So I had my very own Milton moment today.
To give some quick backstory - my company is redoing a building that holds the labs and there isn't enough space, so they have been trying to think of "innovative" ways to get more space. The library is last on the list, and I asked for 500sq ft earlier this year and the group just looked at me in silence, and the planner said, "No way are you getting that kind of space." Not a good library moment. But now I am perfectly happy in my cube with my two cubes of book shelf space, because most of our library is online anyway, and now, I am not a liability with all that space, plus, I am still within the group I serve, but I am on the edge of the cube farm in the quiet corner, under a high ceiling that gets enough light from the window high above to shine down on me for 10 minutes at 3 pm.
So. The head finance guy who is now head of international something who is in charge of getting the buildings more "space" came over to my cube with two other people with clipboards and started talking about the library like I wasn't there. So I stood up and talked to them, and they suggested that the best way for me to get more space for the library was to move into the STAIRWELL!!! Ha ha ha! Can you imagine for a second? My desk in the stairwell, I will be muttering to myself about my stapler.
I acted like I took their request very seriously and said, well, you know, I really don't need any additional space. Since I don't need an archive, and since most everything is online and people can access things from their desktop, I am really happy right here. Perfectly happy, never better. They seemed to like that answer and took their clipboards and left.
My very own Milton moment...
August 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You know it must be pretty serious when they want to move you to the stairwell. But do you get to keep your stapler?
OMG~that is too funny! I could actually see this whole thing playing out in my head while you were saying it in your blog.
Do you need me to write a letter for you requesting that they not banish you to the stairwell. Cuz I will. I really will.
XOXO
Post a Comment