June 22, 2008
Seven reasons why grad school is outdated
So after reading a blog post about 7 reasons why grad school is outdated , I can't disagree with some of the reasons why grad school is outdated for some people, but for those of us who work in academia, grad degrees still mean something, and obviously those careers that require an advanced degree to move forward - professor, doctor, lawyer. But this post offers some good advice for those folks who are helping kids decide if they want to go to grad school. I love that the blogger says that early adult life is meant for being lost, and that grad school offers comfort and the known versus the unknown. She mentions the stage of emerging adulthood which is how 20 and 30 somethings have redefined the stages of adulthood. Good stuff!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Not sure I agree with the article entirely...but my opinion may change once my students loans go into repayment and my income doesn't increase to compensate! I think graduate school is good for adults who are maturely prepared, which most recent undergrad graduates are not. Interesting article!
Haven't read the article, but one thing grad school can offer, depending on the degree, is a sort of sacred time among like-minded folks--a dedicated, interested, and hopefully supportive community to help you achieve an ends. At least I'd say that's true for artistic grad degrees, like creative writing.
Post a Comment