April 4, 2009

Get needled


I started my adventure with acupuncture three sessions ago, and I am hooked.  The needles don't hurt, in fact most of them you don't feel at all, except for a twinge at the beginning. I have had them put in my feet, legs, ears, wrists and once in my belly. And then you lie still listening to music for a good 20-30 minutes.  After about 10 minutes your mind quiets down and your limbs feel heavy, and afterwards you feel great.  I felt calm and centered, like I really did a good session of meditation, but without the grocery list making in my head. I hate when I can't make my head be quiet, don't you? You basically get the effects of it for a week or so, the calmness stays with you.  I guess the science of it is that the needles balances your hormones and slows your brain waves. The spiritual side says it balances your chi, I am just glad it works. 

The only challenge is that it is expensive to do private sessions, but there are a couple less expensive places in Tucson to try.  

ASAOM Clinic - Students practice on you, and its pretty reasonable
Tucson Community Acupuncture - Professionals treat you, its a sliding scale, you sit in one big room. 
 

1 comment:

Julie said...

I loooooooooove acupuncture. Haven't been in a while, but dang, it is amazing. I was so scared at first, have huge needle phobia, but I loved it.