I made some burp cloths, a receiving blanket, quilt, and lovey for my sister's new baby. I am not that comfortable of a seamstress, so this was my trial run into making something for someone else, but they were pretty easy to make. The fabric came from Joann's, and there lots of great craft blog examples out there if you want to make your own baby gifts. The pink minkee fabric is really expensive if you don't buy it on sale ($12 a yard people!), but if you can get it with a coupon and or 50% off, its a deal.
The burp cloth style idea came from Homemade by Jill, and super quick and easy to make, I made a pattern based on her pattern from a paper bag, and used natural cotton batting, and two pieces of flannel. The blanket is just two flannel sheets sewn together, and the quilt was an experiment that didn't quite work out, which I don't show here, but I used the minkee and the flannel as whole pieces with some batting in between, but thats a lot of unwieldy material to put under your machine at a time, so the free sewing looks messy. I don't know a better way, so I need someone to show me how to freestyle quilt on a machine, so the quilting part is a bit messed up, but otherwise looks ok. I found this blanket idea on the Purl Bee, which I might like to try in the future.
Until several weeks ago I didn't know what a lovey was. It was explained to me as a soft small blankie with tags on it that babies like to rub their faces on, so I found some examples, and just made one with satin and grosgrain ribbon. Super fun!!
4 comments:
well aren't you crafty-McCrafterson! I likey:)
I see an Etsy shop in your future :)
I love "loveys" - although loveys in our family aren't always blankets!
Yaay, baby's loveys on Cindy's blog. Thank you again!!!!
super fun is riiight! I absolutely love the pattern on the blankey too.
Post a Comment