Earlier this week I was lucky enough to catch up with friends at Eller and see and hold S's new baby Ben. He is a seriously cute baby, and although I did feel like I would break him a little bit, I dove right in to hold him cuz well, I got that baby fever just a little bit, and the thought of having one of these has crossed my mind a few times recently. But I wasn't always that way. In an office setting there are usually some self-selected grouping going on -and when one brings in a baby, you can instantly see the gathering or scattering - people flock to it like a moth to a flame, or they hover just long enough until they can go back and hide in their office until it is gone. No judgement here -just an observation.
I used to be in the latter category until about a year ago. While I was holding him, two other newbie advisors came to the door, surveyed the room, and did not enter, it was like there was a magical shield keeping them out - they didn't want to catch the virus. Do you want to hold the baby? Someone asked one of the newbies. "Umm...no thanks, I have some work to do, she said, and ran back out. This cracked me up. Mostly because I used to be that person, and then something happened to me. This baby fever thing is like a virus. In my 20's I acted just like the newbie advisor and stayed away from catching it. Anytime someone came into the office with a baby, I was like "yeah, baby is cute, nope, don't wanna hold it, see ya!" Then I ran like heck back to my office/cube. I didn't want anyone to think I was a freak, cuz its not that I didn't like babies, its just that I couldn't imagine one in my life, and holding one, well it opened up too many cans of worms. And since usually the next question was, "do you want to have kids?" I used to run far away from that question, because that is far to loaded a question - Do you mean now? Ever? Ack!
However, I have happily crossed over and joined the PG's. What happened? I don't know. But I hope I give those peeps a break if I ever have a baby. I will try to remember what it is like.
July 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I believe they call that the biological clock ticking, ticking, ticking, no?!
This is soo funny! I was cracking up reading it b/c I noticed the same thing.
Post a Comment