June 15, 2007

OR Countryside to Crescent City - Part 1


Here is a snapshot of the area that we covered - Northern CA, Oregon Coast, Portland, Multnomah Falls, and Mount Hood.




We headed south down lush rolling hills and wine country and farming areas through Oregon City and Silverton and stopped at a Safeway off Hwy 213, I always like to know what people eat on the road, so here was our choices. Big pickle, turkey and havarti sandwich, iced coffee yum, and I forgot my toothbrush.

We stopped at one of the rest areas and I spent a few minutes enjoying the sunshine and my big pickle, and literally one minute afterwards the sprinklers came on and shocked me into jumping with cold sprays of water. My arid climate sensibilities kicked in and I wondered why they were watering at noon. Duh, cuz they can!


Many hours later through hills and up and down mountains to Hwy 199 we go - the route to Cresent City. My advice to anyone making a road trip is to get lost once or twice, relax and enjoy the journey, and stop on your whims. Dennis made a quick decision to stop at the Simpson Reed Redwood Grove, and going 60 miles an hour down windy roads, this is a feat --where the trees were intensely large and ancient. You could actually feel the wisdom as we walked through them, and then someone fired a gunshot and then the peace was over. But we ran out of room on our camera with this set in awe... and to think people could ever consider chopping down these creatures down.



We headed to Crescent City where we stopped at the Beachcomber in, and had some addictive cheese biscuits, and you can't tell in the photo but it looked like one of those seafood places that I remember from CA coastal areas in the early 80's, with nets and hanging macrame with round balls in them, dark, dank, and a salad bar where the tomatos, cukes, and garbanzo beans are held in abalone shells. Dennis was stoked about his clam chowder. I ate two many biscuits and got a tummy ache but we found some awesome driftwood out on the beach, and I found another dead seal, not shown here. I found one on a trip I made literally 10 years earlier as well. Weird. Maybe they just commonly wash up on the shore there. Crescent City has a Walmart so we stocked up on a larger photo card and hit the local bowling alley. This was one of the most fun bowling experiences I have ever had. The guy who runs it let me stand next to the alley to take the pic, its blurry, but check out Dennis's form!






On a recent trip to Oregon, wandering our way through breathtaking scenery, a few different habitats, through a few whims and a lost or two, we found some incredibly beautiful places I have ever been, and if you haven't put this place on a travel list, you must. Anyone who knows and loves the Oregon countryside will tell you there is a lot to see and appreciate in the magic of the west. I will give you the condensed version, and some of the highlights.

This trip was over Memorial Weekend give or take a few days, and we flew into Portland at night.

No comments: