June 24, 2007

Portland Part 5

Here are a couple of our photos of the Rose Garden, I was being fancy with the color. Great day to see the roses, it was overcast and about 4pm, so the light was pretty great for phototaking.


Dennis and I fell in love with Portland, and checked out all the neighborhoods on the Northeast Portland side of town, so close to downtown but so far. A friend of mine who went to school here in the early 90's said the NE side used to be a dump, but like other cities that have made a comeback, $500,000 will get you a house in any of these craftsman or tudor style houses with amazing flora, on a quiet tree lined street. I think its pretty easy for someone to see why those up us from the desert are fascinated with the Northwest, and vice versa. Dennis and I drove around neighborhoods trying to guess what the houses cost.
For $500k you too can live in Northeast Portland

We went to see Arcade Fire that night, and I bumped into one of the Decemberists in the hallway, they came to see the show too. I didn't get any great shots of the theatre, but the band was just as amazing as I knew they would be, totally worth buying overpriced tickets for D's birthday on stubhub. Great service though, if you ever want to go to a show that is sold out.

Here are some of my other favorite pics from our jaunts around Portland.

If I removed one lawn ornament from this yard, I think it would really improve its curb appeal.

We don't have movie theatres that look cool like this one.

The Kennedy School, Charles Dickens era schoolhouse turned bar by the McMinamin Brothers.


Kids are short. Ouch, my back!


Dinner at the Doug Fir. Burnside motel turned hip motel/bar/restaurant/club.
Yum, Doug Fir meatloaf!

Had to drive really, really slow to get this photo. It blinks on and off, and its on the Burnside Bridge. Right after this I saw a racoon. I thought the racoon was a really big cat until its head peeked out of the the trashcan. Was not able to get that photo, the thing went back in the trash before I could.

The next day we went up to Mount Hood before flying out of town. The drive was scenic, lots of trees, and Mount Hood has snow year round. The front of the Timberline Lodge was used in The Shining as the front of the lodge where they stayed, not the one in Estes Park CO.

It was really cold up there and windy.
We drove down to Multnomah Falls and hiked up a bit. This place is about 30 minutes outside of Portland, and Mt. Hood is about an 1 hour drive away. Easy to get out of the city and see some country.
This photo has a fake Olan Mills quality to it that I really like. This is up Multnomah Falls, overlooking the Columbia River.

One of the few photos where we both look good. Yaay!

1 comment:

Simmons B. Buntin said...

Awesome Cindy! We're back from our road trip, too, though I (mostly) posted photos during the drive out and back from Washington, DC, and the days there. More photos than chat, but I surely enjoyed both on your blog!